City Quest 2007

I had a lot of trouble sleeping the night before I was to embark on this years circumnavigation attempt. At 4am it was storming fiercely with high winds, lightning, rain, and hail. In a fit of depression, I phoned Jim K and called the walk on account of the weather and went back to bed. By 5am it was obvious that the storm had passed and I had failed. Failed the test of the weather. By 7:30am I was sulking something fierce and Ms. Orange told me to just get off my duff and go -- late or not.

(Sadly, to no avail) I left a message on Jim's cell and headed out the door around 8:30am. And to everyone who wished that we could start at a more reasonable hour... IT WAS TOO LATE! Too Late to finish (for me, anyhow), but not too late to have a fantastic day.

I walked a little over 12 1/2 hrs. I haven't mapped it yet, but I'll go on a limb and estimate about 40 km. I had a lapse in my mental game when I realized that it would certainly be after midnight before I could finish and called it quits over a cup of coffee in the Silver Springs vicinity.

I've been quite sore for a couple of days now. On reflection, it is hard to call such an event a failure. I think any time I can get out the door and make such a serious attempt, get some great air and take such cool photos. It is a win. I'll add on top that Kyro was a fantastic walking apprentice and a real asset to the trip. My heartiest congratulations on a job well done, sir.

Here are many of the photos from the trip. My favorite moments were trekking through the swampy washed out road and eating the best food I've ever tasted when Ms. Orange and Trouble2 brought a fantastic feast to the river park.

City Quest

Check out the new "map view". It's pretty cool, except it doesn't seem to integrate with the other maps I've done in googlemaps. Grrr.

Comments

Anna said…
Your photos are amazing. I especially like "survivor", "Rd.370 and canola", "Kyro bracing two pillars", and "north-end view".
captainorange said…
somehow, the one of Kyro and the pillars reminds me of Atlas holding the world upon his shoulders. I'm sure Kyro would be pleased to hear that.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Gift Getter

If you see Lake Louise, start walking in the other direction